Preparing for Promotion for Academic Women
The Tuning your Promotion Prospects for Academic Women workshop is part of the University of Wollongong Affirmative Action Plan. It is aimed at women working towards a promotion application in the next 12 months to 2 years. The workshop was developed in 1998 in response to a downward trend in applications for promotion by academic women. This one day workshop has been offered annually since 1998 with outstanding results.
In 2011, 90% of women who applied for promotion were successful. 82% of men who applied for promotion were successful.
Research conducted in 2007 showed that 58% of women promoted at UOW attended a Preparing for Promotion for Academic Women workshop.
The workshop objectives are for participants:
- to develop a more focused approach to career planning
- understand how the promotion system works at UOW
- complete the workshop with input from experienced Associate Professors and Professors and to receive feedback on their draft statement of case
- to establish a campus wide support network of women working through the same issues
- to view examples of sections of applications from previous successful applicants
The workshop includes a discussion session utilising a panel experienced in academic promotion matters.
The workshop has a consistent satisfaction index of 6+ on a scale of 1-7. The rating was 6.25 in 2008 with the following participants comments:
- Well organised. Each speech is concise and right to the point. Very helpful for understanding the operation of the whole system and adjust action accordingly.
- Thank you very worthwhile, great for networking too.
- Best part of the course was participation by actual committee members and staff who have been through the process. The hands-on, practical tips we were provided with are invaluable!
- Excellent access to expertise on the topic.
- The encouraging atmosphere of the workshop has enabled me to feel positive about preparing my application. The transparency in the promotion process was useful to know. This is completely unlike my previous place of employment.
- Really appreciated the information from such a wide variety of people. A very supportive and worthwhile workshop and a great way to start the process.
- Bringing an application draft was valuable - I recommend it.
Visit PODS Training Calendar for the next workshop.
| || |
Last reviewed: 4 May, 2012