Employment Equity & Diversity Committee
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Role of the Employment Equity and Diversity Unit
The role of the Employment Equity and Diversity Unit (EED) is to develop a long term and integrated approach to employment equity and diversity at UOW through the development of the University's equity and diversity programs, assistance to faculties and Units in the development of appropriate strategies and by ensuring the University's compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination legislation.
The Role of the Employment Equity and Diversity Committee
The Employment Equity and Diversity Committee will:
- maintain a focus on the development, review and extension of policies and strategies affecting equity and diversity in employment with respect to all University staff;
- provide advice and feedback to the EED Unit about strategic planning, education and communication issues;
- work to identify and eliminate all forms of discrimination within the University;
- review the progress of employment equity and diversity goals against the plans, targets and recommendations of reviews of University units; and
- advise the Vice Chancellor, Senate and senior University management on the roles, functions and initiatives of the EED Unit and the EED Committee..
- Vice-Principal (Administration) who may deputise the Director of Human Resources to attend
- Director, Employment Equity & Diversity
- Indigenous Employment Officer
- Two members nominated by and from the Deans
- One nominee of University Senate
- One nominee of the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU)
- One nominee of the Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU)
- University Grievance Advisor
- Five staff members nominated by the Vice-Chancellor following expressions of interest from the staff of the University. These nominations should be from equity groups - Indigenous, women, disability, ethnicity, and gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.
Equity Group Representation: 50%
Term of membership: 2 years
|Position/Representation||Current Membership||Date of appointment|
|Chair||Interim Chair is Director, Human Resources|
|Director, Human Resources||Ms Sue Thomas||September 2013|
|Director, Employment Equity & Diversity||VACANT|
|Deans Nominee||Prof Amanda Lawson||March 2014|
|Deans Nominee||Prof Ian Wilson||November 2014|
|Indigenous Employment Officer||VACANT|
|Senate Representative||Dr Debra Dudek||May 2014|
|General Staff Representative CPSU||Ms Vivienne McIlroy||July 2012|
|Equity Group Staff Member||Dr Lynnaire Sheridan||May 2012|
|Equity Group Staff Member||Mr Anthony McKnight||May 2014|
|Equity Group Staff Member||Mr Shawn Burns||May 2014|
|Equity Group Staff Member||Dr Ngamta Thamwattana||May 2014|
|Equity Group Staff Member||VACENT|
A quorum for the EED committee shall be a half plus one. As there are fifteen committee members in total, a quorum shall be one half (7) plus one, or eight members.
- There shall be five meetings per year.
- Nominated members will have a term of two years.
- The EED Unit shall provide secretarial support to the Committee.
- Nominated members may raise any issues concerning employment, equity and diversity in Committee meetings.
- Committee members should notify the Committee secretary of agenda items they would like included for discussion one week before the next EED Committee meeting.